Skip to main content

Men’s Grooming: Menscience, an Androcuetical skincare line.


Text by Hans Van Zutphen
Images courtesy of Deidre Garcia for Menscience


Athletic men such as myself have finally begun to embrace the concept of a regular skincare program. Part of my newfound interest were the deepening lines around my eyes and on my forehead after years spent coaching outdoors on sunny soccer fields. After sporadically trying-out whatever women’s skincare products happened to be our medicine cabinet, I resolved to try products that were specifically targeted to men.

I chose the Menscience Androcutical skincare line for my first foray into male-targeted skincare. As the name suggests, Menscience Androceutical skincare line is targeted specifically to the male demographic. The word, “Androceuticals” combines the prefix Andro [for men] and the word pharmaceuticals. Androceuticals are a category of products that are formulated with active ingredients used by doctors and skincare professionals for their demonstrated impact on the appearance of the user’s skin. The line is comprised of a range of basic skincare products including their popular Ti02 Sun block SPF 30 which I tested.


Sun block’s a basic, so that’s where I started. It’s been recognized that as the days grow warmer [or if you live in a perpetually sunny place such as Miami] that SPF 15 doesn’t provide enough protection. Some of my teammates who’ve ignored the dermatologists’ admonitions to wear sunscreen have acquired brown spots on their face from too much sun exposure. Perhaps they have global warming and the thinning ozone layer to thank.

Being a dedicated sportsman, I wanted to know if Ti02 Sunblock SPF 30 would run-off or sting my eyes after building-up a sweat. I found it to be surprisingly
light, moisturizing and waterproof. It
performed well while worn on some long hikes as well as on the soccer field. It absorbed quickly into my skin and didn’t run into my eyes while exercising.
This block is a quantum leap ahead of the pasty high numbered sunscreens on the market a few years ago that never seemed to fully absorb into my skin. Although it’s marketed as a men’s line, the women on our team who sampled the Ti02 Sunblock SPF 30 liked it just as much as my teammates and me did.


To learn more about or to purchase Menscience products, visit www.menscience.com